Re: [ogl-sample] Some questions about the sources

To: ogl-sample@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [ogl-sample] Some questions about the sources
From: Jon Leech <ljp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2000 12:23:40 -0800
Sender: owner-ogl-sample@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Thu, Jan 27, 2000 at 10:59:34AM -0500, Kathleen Langone wrote:
>   These free sources that are available for GLX - are they GLX 1.2 or GLX
> 1.3(I'm going to guess 1.2)???

    1.2 at present, yes - it's identical to the code commercial
licensees have been getting. The 1.3 features have been held up because
we've been putting so many cycles into the open sourcing itself. One of
the other SGI engineers is doing some integration work and we should be
able to put it in the CVS tree pretty soon (or if the integration shows
signs of getting stretched out, maybe someone out there would like to
help?)

>   Would anyone out there have information on how to detect GLX calls
> in an X11 protocol stream? What to look for in what bytes to indicate
> the presence of a GLX call?

    GLX protocol is distinguished by a connection-specific major opcode
(look at glx/lib/glxext.c:__glXSetupForCommand), like other X
extensions. Once you know that, the remaining encoding of a protocol
request is as defined in the GLX Protocol Encoding specification, which
can be downloaded (along with the other GL, GLX, and GLU specifications)
from

        http://www.opengl.org/Documentation/Specs.html

    Incidentally, one of the projects I suggested in the FAQ was that
someone might want to enhance 'xmon' to understand GLX protocol and
print it out in intelligble form, instead of dumping a bytestream. This
would be quite handy for debugging indirect rendering.

    Jon Leech
    SGI