Re: RFC: NAPI packet weighting patch

To: Jon Mason <jdmason@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: RFC: NAPI packet weighting patch
From: Robert Olsson <Robert.Olsson@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 3 Jun 2005 00:15:50 +0200
Cc: Stephen Hemminger <shemminger@xxxxxxxx>, "Ronciak, John" <john.ronciak@xxxxxxxxx>, hadi@xxxxxxxxxx, "David S. Miller" <davem@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Williams, Mitch A" <mitch.a.williams@xxxxxxxxx>, netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx, Robert.Olsson@xxxxxxxxxxx, "Venkatesan, Ganesh" <ganesh.venkatesan@xxxxxxxxx>, "Brandeburg, Jesse" <jesse.brandeburg@xxxxxxxxx>
Sender: netdev-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx

 Differentiate the meaning of weight a bit.

 Let weight only limit the number of pkts we deliver per ->poll

 Have some other mechanism or threshold to control when interrupts are
 to be turned on.

 The first approximation for this could be to poll as long as we see
 any pkt on the RX ring. As interrupt seems expensive on all platforms.

 Cheers.
                                                --ro