Re: ipw2100: firmware problem

To: jketreno@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: ipw2100: firmware problem
From: "David S. Miller" <davem@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 09 Jun 2005 15:11:08 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: pavel@xxxxxx, vda@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, abonilla@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, jgarzik@xxxxxxxxx, netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx, linux-kernel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, ipw2100-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: netdev-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
From: James Ketrenos <jketreno@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 09 Jun 2005 16:01:30 -0500

> The ipw2100 originally postponed doing any initialization until open was
> called.  The problem at that time was that distributions were crafted to
> rely on link detection (I believe via ethtoolop's get_link) before they
> would bring the interface up.

Yes, I see, and that does work for most ethernet devices.
I noticed that Debian's 3.1 installer used this to determine
which ethernet device it should use as the default in it's
network device dialogue.

One idea, returning true for get_link when the device is down, may not
be a bad idea for the wireless case.