Re: Network card driver problem (znb.o/tulip)

To: Kosta Todorovic <kostodo@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Network card driver problem (znb.o/tulip)
From: Ben Greear <greearb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 19 May 2005 10:14:00 -0700
Cc: jgarzik@xxxxxxxxx, tulip-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: netdev-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
Kosta Todorovic wrote:
Whats the best 4-port NIC currently available? I'm interested in
purchasing 10 4-port NICs as a replacement for my current cards.

I am looking for 10/100Mbps and a good driver for linux (2.4.x and
2.6.x). Preferably a mainstream company but thats not priority.

Could the community please recommend the best card available? Money is
not an issue since im really interested in the best of the best.

Get an Intel 4-port GigE NIC. It will do 10/100/1000, and if you really want to use all 4 ports at even 100Mbps, you need the 64-bit PCI bus...

I have been getting mine from silicom-usa.com lately.  They also have
6-port NICs, and 4-port broadcom GigE nics that can be used in 32-bit
PCI slots.  (The Intel 4-port NICs will only work in 64-bit PCI slots.)

If you really want 10/100 nics, try the p430tx from aei:
http://www.aei-it.com/hardware/fastenet/p430tx.htm

These are like the old DFE570tx NICs, and use the tulip driver.  They
are almost as expensive as the GigE NICs though...

Thanks,
Ben

Any suggestions?

Regards,