IPsec performance over UDP

To: netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: IPsec performance over UDP
From: Michael Iatrou <m.iatrou@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 10 May 2005 19:49:12 +0300
Sender: netdev-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx

I did some testing for IPsec performance over UDP. I used two identical PCs,
connected back-to-back, with Intel Xeon 2.8GHz (SMP/SMT disabled), 512MB RAM,
e1000 (82546EB), running Linux

I tested AES {128,192,256}, DES, 3DES, SHA, MD5 and various combinations of
them for ESP and AH.

Network performance:

CPU utilization:

The "unexpected" result is that there is 30% idle time even if the network is
not saturated! On the other hand, TCP seems to behave more normally:

Network performance:

CPU utilization:

Any ideas?

All tests are 100% reproducible.

Additional infos:
MTU 1500
IPsec mode: transport, using preshared keys
netperf 2.3pl1
CPU utilization from /proc/stat

 Michael Iatrou
 Electrical and Computer Engineering Dept.
 University of Patras, Greece