Re: icmp_unreachable uses wrong ip

To: Lennert Buytenhek <buytenh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: icmp_unreachable uses wrong ip
From: Pekka Savola <pekkas@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 3 May 2005 12:42:01 +0300 (EEST)
Cc: netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx, "J. Simonetti" <jeroens@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sender: netdev-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Tue, 3 May 2005, Lennert Buytenhek wrote:
(I know, "Every other router vendor out there does it this way."
is not a good reason for doing it the same way.)

There's no specification requiring or recommending either of these approaches, either for v6 or v4 AFAICS so you can't depend on that behaviour..

Do you have specific data to back up "every other router vendor..." ? I doubt it's quite as uniform as that, but if so, it would certainly be a major motivation for a change.