Re: creating a netdevice

To: netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: creating a netdevice
From: BZ Benny <bennybbz@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 3 Mar 2005 10:36:21 +0100 (CET)
Sender: netdev-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
Hi,
tanks a lot, I think that the only way for creating a
netdevice without being in the kernel space its to use
tuntap.

I have an appli like blueZ which access to the IP
layer and take paket into another network.

My appli run under a PC wich play the role of an
access point for other PCs in my private network.

So, for driving packet from internet to my private
network and vice versa I use briding utils: brctl

but I have another problem.
It s that my bridge br0 that i create like that
#brctl addbr br0
#brctl setfd br0 0
#brctl stp br0 off
#brctl addif br0 eth0
#brctl addif br0 tun0

but if I do not
#ifconfig eth0 0.0.0.0
#ifconfig br0 10.160.15.128
#route add default gw 10.160.15.128

I can"t access to internet, why does br0 need an IP
adress. I want to not giving him an IP adress and
giving eth0 the IP address of my internet network and
tun0 the IP adress of my private network.

regards
imad.

ps: blueZ is an open source bluetooth stack which is
integrated to the 2.6 kernels.