Re: creating a netdevice

To: Stephen Hemminger <shemminger@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: creating a netdevice
From: jamal <hadi@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 02 Mar 2005 16:41:17 -0500
Cc: BZ Benny <bennybbz@xxxxxxxx>, netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: netdev-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
Can you explain why you need to create a net device? Linux (and many
other OSes) typically tie discovery of hardware resources to creating a
network device i.e the kernel creates it for you (this is true even when
the discovery is done post bootup). The only exception is things like
tun/ethertap as Stephen mentions. Things like allocation of ifindices
are also under the control of the OS - even when you are able to create.

cheers,
jamal