Re: TCP-Protection is really a pain...

To: Jeff Garzik <jgarzik@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: TCP-Protection is really a pain...
From: Christian Schmid <webmaster@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 03 Feb 2005 18:04:24 +0100
Cc: Stephen Hemminger <shemminger@xxxxxxxx>, netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: netdev-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
Several users complain about downloads stalling at 99% as well... I was unable
to solve this issue.

Jeff Garzik wrote:
Christian Schmid wrote:

btw: Another problem I am experiencing is that downloads suddenly break in speed from 360 kb/sec to 8-12 kb/sec. 5 seconds later they stall completely. But the interesting part is, that the send-queue is completely full (checked with a grep in netstat). This looks like as if the receiver is just too slow. But this is not the case. That makes it rather funny. The receiver is waiting with an empty pipe but linux doesn't send. What could this be?

With recent kernels, I've noticed that my browser progress bar will download about 98% of a page, then stall for several seconds, then complete.

Very strange.  Haven't investigated it at all, though.

    Jeff