[ANN] removal of certain net drivers coming soon: eepro100, xircom_tulip

To: Linux Kernel <linux-kernel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Netdev <netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [ANN] removal of certain net drivers coming soon: eepro100, xircom_tulip_cb, iph5526
From: Jeff Garzik <jgarzik@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2005 15:45:40 -0500
Cc: Greg KH <greg@xxxxxxxxx>, Andrew Morton <akpm@xxxxxxxx>
Sender: netdev-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx

(GregKH cc'd for his deprecated list)

Though this has already been mentioned, I thought I would send out a reminder. The following net drivers are slated for removal "soon", in the next kernel version or so:

1) iphase (iph5526 a.k.a. drivers/net/fc/*)

Been broken since 2.3 or 2.4.  Only janitors have kept it compiling.

2) xircom_tulip_cb

Unmaintained, and does not work for all xircom 32bit cards. xircom_cb, on the other hand, works for ALL xircom 32bit cards.

3) eepro100

Unmaintained; users should use e100.

When I last mentioned eepro100 was going away, I got a few private emails saying complaining about issues not yet taken care of in e100. eepro100 will not be removed until these issues are resolved.