Re: [RFC] string matching ematch

To: Thomas Graf <tgraf@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [RFC] string matching ematch
From: Pablo Neira <pablo@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2005 21:17:39 +0100
Cc: Jamal Hadi Salim <hadi@xxxxxxxxxx>, Patrick McHardy <kaber@xxxxxxxxx>, netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: netdev-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
Hi Thomas,

Thomas Graf wrote:

I'd like to discuss the string matching ematch, I don't care about the
algorithm used but rather whether to make it stateful, match over
fragments, etc. I attached a simple stateless string matching ematch
using the Knuth-Morris-Pratt algorithm as a starting point.

I've posted something similar after christmas in netfilter-devel[1]. It's fragment aware, actually my implementation uses boyer-moore to look for matches in the payload, and it uses brute force together with Rusty's skb_iter stuff to look for matches on the edges. The worst case is not that bad for small patterns. Anyway I'm still looking for alternatives solutions. BTW, Harald Welte is also interested in this stuff.

I'll give it more spins these days since I've got some spare time. I'll also have a look at your work. I think that we could join efforts and push something good, thoughts?