Re: MV643xx Ethernet 2.6 driver update

To: Dale Farnsworth <dale@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: MV643xx Ethernet 2.6 driver update
From: Jeff Garzik <jgarzik@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2005 04:56:26 -0500
Cc: netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx, Ralf Baechle <ralf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Manish Lachwani <mlachwani@xxxxxxxxxx>, Brian Waite <brian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Steven J. Hill" <sjhill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sender: netdev-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
Dale Farnsworth wrote:
While porting the mv643xx ethernet driver to 2.6 and for use on PPC, I
modified it to use the device driver model, fixed the hardware checksum
support, and did some miscellaneous bug fixes and cleanups.

The following changes are included:

 A. Remove redundant or unneeded code.
 B. Replace fixed count spins with udelay/msleep waits on hardware status bits
 C. Fix code to enable hardware checksum generation for TX packets
 D. Convert from pci_map_* to dma_map_* interface
 E. Add device driver model support.
 F. Add support for several configurable parameters via platform_device
 G. Make use of MV64340_RX_QUEUE_FILL_ON_TASK macro consistent.
 H. Simplify mv64340_eth_set_rx_mode()
 I. Clean up receive buffer sizing
 J. Call netif_carrier_off/netif_carrier_on on a link down/up condition
 K. Add support for PHYs/boards that don't support autonegotiation.

Change E is the only one that modifies the driver interface.

Change G was sent to me by Steven J Hill <sjhill1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>.
Change K was sent to me by Brian Waite <brian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>.

The first 6 changes were submitted to LKLM on Dec. 13 2004.  Comments
were received only from Christoph Hellwig <hch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> and have
been addressed.  Changes G-K have been added since then.

I have some additional (mostly cosmetic, but still significant) cleanups,
but I'd like to get these in the queue first.

Thanks,
Dale Farnsworth

Please do a

        bk pull bk://dfarnsworth.bkbits.net/netdev-2.6-mv643xx-enet

Ouch:

When using BitKeeper, you need to make sure your changes are the only ones in the tree. It doesn't work for me to pull:

mv643xx-enet -> jgarzik-mv643xx-enet -> net-drivers-2.6 -> linus

because that would require pulling the entire netdev-2.6 tree up through that chain.

        Jeff