Re: V2.4 policy router operates faster/better than V2.6

To: netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: V2.4 policy router operates faster/better than V2.6
From: "Jeremy M. Guthrie" <jeremy.guthrie@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2005 17:23:18 -0600
Cc: Robert Olsson <Robert.Olsson@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sender: netdev-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Wednesday 12 January 2005 05:19 pm, Robert Olsson wrote:
> Jeremy M. Guthrie writes:
>  > Here is what it looked like I was getting before from the old driver...
>  > that took me down to 8mbps.
>  >
>  > "printk: 4624 messages suppressed.
>  > dst cache overflow
>  > printk: 4630 messages suppressed.
>  > dst cache overflow
>  > printk: 4631 messages suppressed.
>  > dst cache overflow
>  > printk: 4646 messages suppressed.
>  > dst cache overflow
>  > printk: 4645 messages suppressed.
>  > dst cache overflow"
>
>  Thanks!
>
>  This a known problem. Remember I asked you about this. We're now in the
>  RCU route-hash problem again. This is not necessary solved by more CPU
>  as higher t-put forces more dst-entries to be freed aand we get
>  closer to max_size.
>
>  As your traffic looks sane double your bucket size of the route hash to
>  start with. Use the boot option w. rhash_entries. look at rtstat
Does it make sense that the driver would kill throughput and force us to
output these types of messages?

Jeremy M. Guthrie        jeremy.guthrie@xxxxxxxxxx
Senior Network Engineer        Phone: 608-298-1061
Berbee                           Fax: 608-288-3007
5520 Research Park Drive         NOC: 608-298-1102
Madison, WI 53711