Re: Fw: Network driver test suite?

To: David Hollis <dhollis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Fw: Network driver test suite?
From: Craig Thomas <craiger@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2005 09:14:01 -0800
Cc: netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx, cliff white <cliffw@xxxxxxxx>, shemminger@xxxxxxxx
Sender: netdev-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Wed, 2005-01-12 at 08:24, David Hollis wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-01-11 at 17:32 -0800, Craig Thomas wrote:
>

> > Would there be a desire for someone to collect the tests or at least
> > create an index to all their locations?  If so, then developers can
> > scan a library of potential tests to run against newly developed code.
> >
> > OSDL can start incorporating some of these tests into their test
> > platform as well.
>
> I would love to see a collection of the types of tests that should be
> performed.  As it appears now, there is nothing defined that a driver
> author should do to verify that their driver performs properly, or
> supports the right capabilities etc.  Some things may be difficult to
> automate, but simply having a checklist would be great.  For the things
> that can be automated, that would be even better.

Great.  We can do some of this.  I would like to ask, what mimimal
types of tests do you expect to execute for a driver?  If several
can respond to the types of testing they perform, we can start
a checklist.  Then, additional items can be added to fill in the
holes.  I've asked Cliff White of OSDL to help put this together.