Re: dummy as IMQ replacement

To: hadi@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: dummy as IMQ replacement
From: Hasso Tepper <hasso@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2005 15:02:56 +0200
Cc: netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx, Nguyen Dinh Nam <nguyendinhnam@xxxxxxxxx>, Remus <rmocius@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Andre Tomt <andre@xxxxxxxx>, syrius.ml@xxxxxxxxxx, Andy Furniss <andy.furniss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Damion de Soto <damion@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sender: netdev-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
jamal wrote:
> On Mon, 2005-01-31 at 07:38, Hasso Tepper wrote:
> > jamal wrote:
> > >
> > > Really? I take it this is using the u32 classifier?
> > > What filter did you use?
> >
> > http://mailman.ds9a.nl/pipermail/lartc/2004q2/012422.html
> >
> > Got one answer to this in private that "AFAIK it isn't implemented
> > yet".
>
> This?
>
> tc filter add dev eth1.101 parent ffff: protocol all prio 50 handle \
> 0x101 fw police rate 1024kbit burst 60k drop flowid :101
>
> What are you trying to do? Are you also trying to rate limit ARPs etc
> in one shot?

All traffic coming from eth1.101 interface.

> Does this even get hit at all? tc -s would show you stats. I suspect
> for one it is not being hit.

As far as I remember situation was exactly as I described. This worked for
IPv4 traffic, but not for IPv6 traffic.

> Maybe you are trying to use iptables marks that happen
> a long time after the ingress has seen the packets (which would
> explain why it is not being hit)? This would be true kernels > 2.6.8
> but not before ..

This test was done with 2.6.6.

> In other words, it may be a config issue.

Would be nice ;).

> If you tell me what it is you are trying to do i could try and set it
> up when i come back from work today.

I'd like to limit _all_ traffic coming in from one particular interface to
the one common limit. No matter what traffic it is - IPv4 or IPv6. Sum of
traffic should be the one I specify.

--
Hasso Tepper
Elion Enterprises Ltd.