RE: Acer Aspire 1524WLMi and RealTek 8169 - very slow

To: "Richard Dawe" <rich@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Francois Romieu" <romieu@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: Acer Aspire 1524WLMi and RealTek 8169 - very slow
From: "Brandeburg, Jesse" <jesse.brandeburg@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2005 14:00:22 -0800
Cc: <netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sender: netdev-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
> If I try setting the speed & duplex using something like this:
>
>    ethtool -s eth0 speed 10 duplex half
>
> it fails. I get no errors, but the "ethtool eth0" shows the link speed
&
> duplex to be 100Mbps full-duplex. I think I managed to get it into
> 100Mbps half-duplex once
>
> When I try to "ethtool -s eth0 speed 10", the link lights on my ADSL
> router change to orange, which indicates 10Mbps. Then the light goes
out
> and comes back green, which indicates 100Mbps.
>
> So maybe the driver isn't waiting long enough for something.

You're running into the (in)famous ethtool vs autonegotiation issue.

If you do ethtool -s eth0 autoneg off speed 10 duplex half

I think it will probably work.  The behavior you're describing applies
to most drivers I think.  I actually vote that we get ethtool to
automatically turn autoneg off when someone forces speed _and_ duplex,
as its always the right thing to do.

Anyway, good luck.

Jesse