Re: Where Linux 802.11x support needs work

To: Michael Renzmann <mrenzmann@xxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Where Linux 802.11x support needs work
From: Dan Williams <dcbw@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2005 13:03:31 -0500 (EST)
Cc: Dan Williams <dcbw@xxxxxxxxxx>, Jean Tourrilhes <jt@xxxxxxxxxx>, netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: netdev-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Wed, 26 Jan 2005, Michael Renzmann wrote:

> Dan Williams wrote:
> > madwifi: doesn't seem to implement SIOCGIWSTATS
>
> It does. The SIOCGIWSTATS is used in tools/athstats.c (line 195 in
> current CVS) for example to get the rssi (via qual.qual).

Except then there's no handler for it in the ath_handlers[] array:

/Users/dan/Desktop/madwifi> grep -r "SIOCGIWSTATS" *
ath/if_ath.c:   (iw_handler) NULL /* kernel code */, /* SIOCGIWSTATS */
tools/athstats.c:       if (ioctl(s, SIOCGIWSTATS, &wrq) < 0)

That makes it essentially useless for using with the Linux Wireless
Extensions API (unless the ioctl() somehow redirets calls to SIOCGIWSTATS
to the dev->get_wireless_stats function?).  In any case, it should be as
simple as adding the ath_iw_getstats() function to that line in
ath/if_ath.c in the ath_handlers[] array.  So I guess no fundamental
problems there, should be a 20 second fix.

> >>    Low priority for most vendors, firwmares are only lightly tested.
> > Yeah, I don't expect much to happen here but it would be nice.  FWIW, at
> > least madwifi and atmel seem to work OK here.
>
> Madwifi unfortunately has some known problems in Ad-hoc implementation.
> Someone worked on that, but the patches have not been sent in as far as
> I can tell.

It actually seems to perform fairly well already.  The only problems I
noticed were that whne you set the card into Ad-hoc mode and set the ESSID
on the card, it dropts to a bitrate of 0 and performance is terrible.
When you explicitly set a bitrate of 11Mbps or some other value on the
card the it works fine.  I think the card just gets a bit confused as to
what bitrate to use when doing Ad-hoc mode.

> >>    Note that various other people have their own todo list. Jeff
> >>also has things he has in minds. I have (few) patches on my web
> >>pages. Driver authors also have their wishes.
> > True, but I'm not sure how many of those wishes/todo lists are actually
> > well-known or public.  I don't really see any great momentum in the Linux
> > 802.11x world, but more a hodge-podge of improvements.  I was hoping that
> > the post today could help  direct a bit more attention and effort at Linux
> > 802.11x stuff so we could try to clean it up and improve it.
>
> How about setting up a project that cares of finding, defining and
> implementing such quasi-standards in the Linux 802.11 world? Most things
> are very WLAN specific, so I think netdev isn't the best place to
> discuss them. Of course this only works IMO when many (if not all) of
> the wlan driver authors join in and help out.

This would probably be a very good thing :)

Dan