Re: skb_checksum_help

To: Ben Greear <greearb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "David S. Miller" <davem@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: skb_checksum_help
From: Thomas Graf <tgraf@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2005 22:15:24 +0100
Cc: herbert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, david@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, kaber@xxxxxxxxx, netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: netdev-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
* Ben Greear <41F6B090.6020602@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> 2005-01-25 12:48
* David S. Miller <20050125125019.5ca32de1.davem@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> 2005-01-25 12:50
> I bet there are cards that don't have VLAN hw assist yet
> can properly checksum such packets.  One example I am counting
> on to fit this property is the 3c59x.
> This is why I'm suggesting some kind of inheritance indication
> explicitly from the real_dev driver.  Perhaps even something
> like:
>       unsigned int vlan_inherited_features;
> in the netdev struct.

I thought about this too and actually implemented it but it means to
change all relevant drivers and the only feature that might be
driver specific is checksumming, given I didn't make any mistakes
while checking the drivers for pskb compatibility. Therefore I tried
to avoid it but it seems we can't get around it.

Any objections in inheriting SG|NO_CSUM|HIGH_DMA|FRAGLIST|TSO by
default or leave it to the driver as well?