Re: [patch 4/10] s390: network driver.

To: Tommy Christensen <tommy.christensen@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [patch 4/10] s390: network driver.
From: jamal <hadi@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 07 Jan 2005 08:32:37 -0500
Cc: Jeff Garzik <jgarzik@xxxxxxxxx>, Thomas Spatzier <thomas.spatzier@xxxxxxxxxx>, "David S. Miller" <davem@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Hasso Tepper <hasso@xxxxxxxxx>, Herbert Xu <herbert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx, Paul Jakma <paul@xxxxxxxx>
Sender: netdev-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Thu, 2005-01-06 at 10:06, Tommy Christensen wrote:

> But qdisc_restart() isn't called any more after the queue is
> stopped. So how do we get to drain the packets?

We return -1; so qdisc restart will be called until theres no packets
left on the queue. Did i miss something in the state machine there?

> Another approach could be to reset the qdisc (kind of what
> dev_deactivate does) if the driver stays in queue_stopped
> and carrier_off for some period of time.

reseting qdisc could certainly be part of the device watchdog.
Note that once the packets are drained, the next thing that will happen
if device is stopped for a dev->timeout period is watchdog kicking in
and flushing the DMA. So you could reset your qdisc there though i am
not sure it will be needed with that patch.