Re: V2.4 policy router operates faster/better than V2.6

To: jeremy.guthrie@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: V2.4 policy router operates faster/better than V2.6
From: Robert Olsson <Robert.Olsson@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2005 23:11:05 +0100
Cc: netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx, Robert Olsson <Robert.Olsson@xxxxxxxxxxx>, Stephen Hemminger <shemminger@xxxxxxxx>
Sender: netdev-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
Jeremy M. Guthrie writes:

 > >  I don't follow...
 > Technically by turning off NAPI, I have 'solved' my short term packet loss
 > problem.

 You need NAPI of course just wait until your packet load increases just
 a little bit... I saw drops in your 2.4 /proc/net/softnet_stat which
 indicates you are close to your system performance. With NAPI you keep
 up your system system performance regardless of incoming load.

 The e1000 driver has some bugs in "your setup" as it enables irq's when
 there is only RX and no TX and should have irq's disabled. I sent patch
 to intel.

                                              --ro