Re: _High_ CPU usage while routing (mostly) small UDP packets

To: Karsten Desler <kdesler@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: _High_ CPU usage while routing (mostly) small UDP packets
From: Con Kolivas <kernel@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 07 Dec 2004 10:56:58 +1100
Cc: David S. Miller <davem@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx, linux-kernel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: netdev-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
Karsten Desler writes:

* David S. Miller wrote:
It's spending nearly half of it's time in iptables.
Try to consolidate your rules if possible.  This is the
part of netfilter that really doesn't scale well at all.

Removing the iptables rules helps reducing the load a little, but the majority of time is still spent somewhere else.

I had a similar scenario recently with a very low spec box and found it to be the QoS. Disabling traffic shaping and removing the QoS modules made it much faster. I don't know if you're using them but it's worth pointing out.

Cheers,
Con