Re: 1.03Mpps on e1000 (was: Re: [E1000-devel] Transmission limit)

To: Martin Josefsson <gandalf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: 1.03Mpps on e1000 (was: Re: [E1000-devel] Transmission limit)
From: Lennert Buytenhek <buytenh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 5 Dec 2004 16:15:45 +0100
Cc: Scott Feldman <sfeldma@xxxxxxxxx>, jamal <hadi@xxxxxxxxxx>, Robert Olsson <Robert.Olsson@xxxxxxxxxxx>, P@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, mellia@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, e1000-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Jorge Manuel Finochietto <jorge.finochietto@xxxxxxxxx>, Giulio Galante <galante@xxxxxxxxx>, netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: netdev-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Sun, Dec 05, 2004 at 04:03:36PM +0100, Martin Josefsson wrote:

> BUT if I use the above + prefetching I get this:
> 60      1483890
> [snip]
> Which is pretty nice :)

Not just that, it's also wire speed GigE.  Damn.  Now we all have to go
and upgrade to 10GbE cards, and I don't think my girlfriend would give me
one of those for christmas.

> This is on one port of a 82546GB
> The hardware is a dual Athlon MP 2000+ in an Asus A7M266-D motherboard and
> the nic is located in a 64/66 slot.

Hmmm.  Funny you get this number even on 64/66.  How many PCI bridges
between the CPUs and the NIC?  Any idea how many cycles an MMIO read on
your hardware is?