Re: Small Help required!!!

To: <pranav@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Small Help required!!!
From: David Stevens <dlstevens@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 1 Nov 2004 13:49:17 -0800
Cc: linux-kernel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: netdev-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
netdev-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote on 10/30/2004 08:32:55 AM:

> hi,
> I needed some information about how to proceed with implementing a Name
> Switch Server plugin that
> allows to resolve multicast DNS names using normal libc calls(such as
> gethostbyname()).

> If someone has knowledge in this regard,please mail me back.

I think this will already work as-is. All you should need to do is
register the multicast address in the DNS server.

Have you tried it? Some well-known multicast addresses (like NTP's) are
commonly registered with root servers already.

I haven't tried using "gethostbyame()" on a multicast address that is
registered, but I'm not aware of any checks on the class of the address
in any of the code.

                                        +-DLS