Re: bad TSO performance in 2.6.9-rc2-BK

To: "David S. Miller" <davem@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: bad TSO performance in 2.6.9-rc2-BK
From: John Heffner <jheffner@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2004 13:25:46 -0400 (EDT)
Cc: Andi Kleen <ak@xxxxxxx>, <niv@xxxxxxxxxx>, <herbert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <andy.grover@xxxxxxxxx>, <anton@xxxxxxxxx>, <netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sender: netdev-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Wed, 29 Sep 2004, John Heffner wrote:

> On Wed, 29 Sep 2004, John Heffner wrote:
>
> > Using iperf, I'm getting ~ the same speed to a slow p3 receiver (680
> > Mbits) with TSO on or off right now.  Haven't tried netperf.
>
> Netperf does not work well for me (350 Mbits).  Something to investigate.

I tried again, and it does not even work this well.  The connection hangs
at the end in state FIN_WAIT1 with 101361 bytes in the Send-Q.  It seems
that the whole interface dies.  (Maybe it's sending something invalid to
the TSO engine?)  When I bring the interface down then back up again, the
connection terminates normally.

Don't have this problem with iperf, strange.

  -John