Re: The ultimate TOE design

To: Leonid Grossman <leonid.grossman@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: The ultimate TOE design
From: Nivedita Singhvi <niv@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2004 09:18:49 -0700
Cc: "'Andi Kleen'" <ak@xxxxxxx>, "'David S. Miller'" <davem@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "'John Heffner'" <jheffner@xxxxxxx>, netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: netdev-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
Leonid Grossman wrote:

We can dream about benefits of huge MTUs, but the reality is that moving
beyond 9k MTU is years away. Reasons - mainly infrastructure, plus MTU above
~10k may loose checksum protection (granted, this depends whether the errors
are simple or complex, and also this may not be a showstopper for some
people).
Even 9k MTU is very far from being universally accepted, eight years after
our Alteon spec went out :-).

One other factor is TCP congestion control, and congestion
windows we obey. Most of the time, you just can't send that
much.

thanks,
Nivedita