Re: Kernel connector - userspace <-> kernelspace "linker".

To: johnpol@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Kernel connector - userspace <-> kernelspace "linker".
From: jamal <hadi@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 16 Sep 2004 08:09:08 -0400
Cc: netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: netdev-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Thu, 2004-09-16 at 06:51, Evgeniy Polyakov wrote:
> Hmm, do not know how to describe...
> Kind of mega-picture can be found at
> http://tservice.net.ru/~s0mbre/?section=gallery&item=connector_design
>
> This driver adds possibility to connect anything with anything using
> netlink based network.
> One must register callback and identificator. When driver receives
> special netlink message with appropriate identificator, appropriate
> callback will be called.
> I think that the code better explains what I'm trying to say.

I dont have time to evaluate the code right now - but will at the end of
day. Just trying to understand your concepts:

Essentially you are building a unified messaging for
userspace-userpace(i.e IPC), userspace-kernel, kernel-kernel with each
component residing in whatever spot (kernel or userland)having a unique
name and Id. Is this correct?
Clearly there could be name/Id conflicts etc. Are you addressing those?
Any event and filtering capability already in or planned? Example event
I want to be notified when module with name "sean paul" comes online and
filter will be "it has to have ID in the range of 0x200-0x400".

I am still trying to wakeup but it does sound like a good idea to have a
generic messaging subsystem.

cheers,
jamal