Re: TX performance of Intel 82546

To: P@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: TX performance of Intel 82546
From: jamal <hadi@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 15 Sep 2004 08:18:27 -0400
Cc: Harald Welte <laforge@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Linux NICS <linux.nics@xxxxxxxxx>, netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: netdev-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Wed, 2004-09-15 at 05:18, P@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> I was able to confirm the above by passing 4x730Kpps
> through a PCI-X system with 4 ethernet controllers,
> but never more than 760Kpps through one particular controller.
>
> Note also you may be able to tune for transmission
> using setpci (google for setpci & MMRBC), or hacking with TSO?

Our friends in FreeBSD claim they can do 1Mpps _forwarding_ with
e1000 - forget about transmit only ;->

I have been experimenting after SUCON on and off because i found the BSD
folks batch their transmits. They have a very dumb egress with no QoS.
Results are not conclusive yet. I will post at some point.

Harald try to move the wmb() just before you write the TDT as i do in
kick_DMA in rearranged e1000 patch attached.
I will move things around if you show worse results.

BTW, anyone wanting to experiment on this patch talk to me privately. I
need to clean it up - maybe this weekend.

cheers,
jamal