Re: iproute2 patch introducing mtu/txqlen/weight via rtnetlink

To: "YOSHIFUJI Hideaki / ?$B5HF#1QL@" <yoshfuji@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: iproute2 patch introducing mtu/txqlen/weight via rtnetlink
From: Thomas Graf <tgraf@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2004 11:29:49 +0200
Cc: davem@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, hadi@xxxxxxxxxx, shemminger@xxxxxxxx, eric.lemoine@xxxxxxxxx, netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: netdev-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
* YOSHIFUJI Hideaki / ?$B5HF#1QL@
<20040910.103341.28767986.yoshfuji@xxxxxxxxxx> 2004-09-10 10:33

> Well, I think we should maintain old ioctl path for backward compatibility.
> (or ifdefs at least.)

I agree, however I think that the only good solution would be to have
iproute2 negotiate with the kernel at runtime. I therefore suggest to
consider my iproute2 patches as development only and don't include them
in any releases as long as the whole 'new iproute2 with old kernel' issue,
also affecting the new tc-actions, has been resolved.