Re: bad TSO performance in 2.6.9-rc2-BK

To: Andi Kleen <ak@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: bad TSO performance in 2.6.9-rc2-BK
From: "David S. Miller" <davem@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2004 16:35:09 -0700
Cc: herbert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, niv@xxxxxxxxxx, andy.grover@xxxxxxxxx, anton@xxxxxxxxx, netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: netdev-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Wed, 29 Sep 2004 01:27:57 +0200
Andi Kleen <ak@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> I tried to re-test it but I didn't get very far because the kernel
> with your patch crashes regularly during netperf. No serial console,
> but the backtrace is {tcp_ack+877} {tcp_rcv_established+350} ...
> Before that there are a few "retrans out leaked" messages.

You might be missing the topmost part of the backtrace which is probably
in tcp_clean_rtx_queue() or even more likely tcp_tso_acked() where there
are several assertions present.

I guess your compiler is auto-inlining those functions for you,
can you reproduce the crash with perhaps the noinline attribute
added to those two functions I mention above so we can get a
precise backtrace?