Re: [RFC] acx100 inclusion in mainline; generic 802.11 stack

To: Vladimir Kondratiev <vkondra@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [RFC] acx100 inclusion in mainline; generic 802.11 stack
From: greg chesson <greg@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 08 Sep 2004 13:52:00 -0700
Cc: netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx, "David S. Miller" <davem@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, acx100-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, hadi@xxxxxxxxxx, jgarzik@xxxxxxxxx, jkmaline@xxxxxxxxx, prism54-devel@xxxxxxxxxxx, sam@xxxxxxxxx, vda@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: netdev-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx

Vladimir Kondratiev wrote:
Greg,
you missed one important point. Besides data packets, that every driver now convert .11<->.3 using almost the same code, there is whole story of management. Many modern cards are "softmac" and do all management on host. I see no point for every driver to implement its own scanning and association.

Yes, Quite right. No disagreement.
It is standard practice on NDIS and Apple Darwin that a common GUI-based
application controls scanning, association, and manages keys+authentication+crypto.

Linux does the same thing (driver is configured by application code)
although there does not yet exist a single app
that can serve as a common point of control for multiple vendor drivers.
I believe that achieving that goal is the real payoff for wireless Linux users.

It is simply waste of resources.

To make step forward, I suggest the following:

1. Dave's code is at least year old. someone need to start maintain it, starting with update for current kernel infrastructure. Get it compile and load for 2.6.9, for example.

2. To debug stack, you don't need real driver. I can write dummy .11 driver that will silently discard all Tx, and will provide some way for user level tool to simulate Rx (ioctl, netlink, does not really matter). For logic, it is sufficient. Later, when it will come to timing, performance etc, it will be easy to strip some real driver.

This may be king of "proof of concept".

Yes, for logic it is sufficient. My personal approach would be to test the theory by examining what fits or doesn't fit into David's API if I were to port one of the MLME implementations that I work with. Discover if it fits or not.

Vladimir