Re: generic 802.11 stack

To: "David S. Miller" <davem@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Sam Leffler <sam@xxxxxxxxx>, Jeff Garzik <jgarzik@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: generic 802.11 stack
From: Vladimir Kondratiev <vkondra@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 2004 22:54:12 +0300
Cc: netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx, prism54-devel@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: netdev-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
DS> > This should be done in generic way. This information used to
 communicate DS> > berween particular driver and generic stack. For example,
 Rx PHY info and Tx DS> > status info should be used for in-stack generic
 rate scaling algorithm. DS> >
DS> > To complicate it a bit, cb[] is only 48 bytes long. PHY info may easily
 exceed DS> > this size, so it's better to allocate something and free it in
 destructor. DS> >
DS> > But again, point is this structure should be generic since it is used
 by DS> > stack.

DS> TCP does the same thing, and if space is an issue you can use
DS> pointers in the cb[] area, other subsystems do this.

Sure, I agree. But this structure for PHY should be defined in stack, it is
not driver's decision.

Actually, I'd like to fit this stack into real life.

To get real, I want, for some wireless card, write driver that will be able to
Tx/Rx 802.11 frames, and let stack handle the rest. Like association,
roaming... What should be done to get to this stage?

Jeff, your opinion on this?

Sam (you represent Atheros?), would you like to cooperate to make this
possible?

Anyone doing drivers for Intersil and Broadcom, are you on this list? Would
you join this effort?