Re: sysctl net.ipv6.conf.eth0.use_tempaddr only recogniced on interface

To: pb@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: sysctl net.ipv6.conf.eth0.use_tempaddr only recogniced on interface start?
From: YOSHIFUJI Hideaki / 吉藤英明 <yoshfuji@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2004 18:08:05 +0900 (JST)
Cc: usagi-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx, initscripts-ipv6@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, yoshfuji@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: netdev-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
In article <F5812425CD96109163291692@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> (at Mon, 30 Aug
2004 10:09:46 +0200), Peter Bieringer <pb@xxxxxxxxxxxx> says:

> during playing around with RFC3041 capability in Linux kernel, I recognized
> that the toggle (e.g. net.ipv6.conf.eth0.use_tempaddr) in sysctl is only
> recognized if interface state changes from down to up, which means you
> can't enable RFC3041 on an already running interface.

Not quite true. net.ipv6.conf.eth0.use_tempaddr is recognized, but
new temporary addresses is created only when new public address is created
(by specification).

> Is this
>
> a) by design
> b) temporary issue, will be solved later
> c) bug, will be solved soon

and even b; we can probably extend our implementation
to create temprary address when net.ipv6.conf.eth0.use_tempaddr is changed
from 0 to 1.

--
Hideaki YOSHIFUJI @ USAGI Project <yoshfuji@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
GPG FP: 9022 65EB 1ECF 3AD1 0BDF  80D8 4807 F894 E062 0EEA