Re: ksoftirqd uses 99% CPU triggered by network traffic (maybe RLT-8139

To: Pasi Sjoholm <ptsjohol@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: ksoftirqd uses 99% CPU triggered by network traffic (maybe RLT-8139 related)
From: Francois Romieu <romieu@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 3 Aug 2004 00:35:15 +0200
Cc: Robert Olsson <Robert.Olsson@xxxxxxxxxxx>, H?ctor Mart?n <hector@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Linux-Kernel <linux-kernel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, akpm@xxxxxxxx, netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx, brad@xxxxxxxxxx, shemminger@xxxxxxxx
Sender: netdev-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
Pasi Sjoholm <ptsjohol@xxxxxxxxx> :
> I forgot to mention that it was quite hard to crash the driver with that
> /* Clear out errors and receive interrupts */-patch. Took about 15minutes
> everytime, when normally it takes about 2mins.

I have made a few changes. Please enable the DEBUG option and set msglvl
to its maximal value via ethtool. You may test the patches separately if
you find some time but the log once both r8139-10.patch and r8139-20.patch
are applied would be enough.

If the log fills too fast, you may comment out any message which does
not belong to rtl8139_rx().

--
Ueimor