Re: Long-term TCP connections suffer on high-latency links.

To: Cheng Jin <chengjin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Long-term TCP connections suffer on high-latency links.
From: Ben Greear <greearb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2004 23:25:36 -0700
Cc: "'netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx'" <netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sender: netdev-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
Cheng Jin wrote:

As of 2.6.6 kernel, TCP Westwood, which mainly addresses issues in wireless networks, BIC TCP, and TCP Vegas are all included besides TCP NewReno, although not enabled by default. The others can be downloaded from the given websites. There are probably others that I forgot to mention. Apologies to them in advance.

Any chance Westwood will get into the 2.4 kernel as well?

Making the current TCP more ``efficient'' by increasing cwnd faster is not an adequate solution, although doing that will likely produce higher throughput in today's Internet. We also must consider issues such as fairness to other flows, stability of the network in terms of queue oscillation and packet loss, and how well these solutions would scale in future networks. A lot of experiments are still needed to determine which is the most appropriate under what circumstances.

Both of the two that I read about (Highspeed TCP and FAST tcp)
did indeed increase the cwnd faster, unless I mis-understood
the papers.  Granted they do it in clever ways...

Thanks for the links.

Ben

--
Ben Greear <greearb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>