I booted into XP and the card works there - so it doesn't look like a
simple hardware incompatibility.
[I've got no real way to test the performance but cygwin's wget against
apache1.3 on the linux box returns about 25M/s initially and then 15M/s
sustained for 500Mb]
Jens Laas wrote:
I'm speaking with Ganesh Venkatesan at intel about it. Ganesh you
went off list - do you want to include Jens or maybe go back on-list?
If others run into this problem I'm sure they'll appreciate if its on
Since we have no idea what causes this (AFAIK) it may be a more
general problem than the device driver.
I tend to agree - but I wasn't sure if this was the place and I'll do as
I'm told ;)
A simple failure case for me is : 'ping -s 1500 '
This doesn't cause the timout but doesn't succeed either.
ping -f with standard packet size succeeds (slow rate though) and
I dont see the ping problems at all. Unless you try to ping when the
interface has "hanged" ?
<sigh> thought that might be helpful.
Ping with -s and -f seems to allow me to trigger errors and it seems a
lot more debug-able than scp or nfs :)
No all tests are when it's reset and 'clean'
From hereon down it's 2.6.7 with Stephen's recent delay scheduler patch
This changed the behaviour.
This is strange unless you are actually using the delay scheduler ?
Default is sch_generic (that is pfifo) that does not exhibit the
problems correct by the patch.
I'll go back and double check in case I cocked up...
(I noticed the e1000 module rebuild but you're right that's incidental)
I've rebuilt the kernel and modules with and w/o patch and rebooted a
few times and I can't reproduce that effect - sorry for the red herring.
So after I reverted Stephens patch the results I reported are still
reproducable w/o the patch.
10592 packets transmitted, 10591 packets received, 0% packet loss
round-trip min/avg/max = 5.4/5.5/83.5 ms
Increasing Transmit Descriptors to 4096 avoids the No buffer space
available with packet sizes up to -s65468 (still 100% failure though)
Increasing nr of buffers is not a way to fix the problem.
agreed - however in my ignorance of the deep behaviour I'm reporting
things that affect behaviour in ways I don't expect.
I expected it to take longer to run out of buffers - that didn't happen :)
(Anyway, on retesting I find that this was wrong - I suspect the
interface was down and I didn't notice)
I had hoped to hear something about this from Scott..
I'm happy to hear from anyone - I don't have *that* long until my RMA
option expires and I don't fancy keeping them as ornaments!