Re: RFC: Linux wireless extensions and WPA support

To: "Andonieh, Joe" <joe.andonieh@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: RFC: Linux wireless extensions and WPA support
From: Jean Tourrilhes <jt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 8 Jun 2004 09:58:12 -0700
Address: HP Labs, 1U-17, 1501 Page Mill road, Palo Alto, CA 94304, USA.
Cc: netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx, Jouni Malinen <jkmaline@xxxxxxxxx>
E-mail: jt@xxxxxxxxxx
Sender: netdev-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Tue, Jun 08, 2004 at 10:36:25AM +0300, Andonieh, Joe wrote:
> #define IW_AUTH_WPA_VERSION   0
> ---
> #define IW_AUTH_WPA_VERSION_DISABLED  0
> #define IW_AUTH_WPA_VERSION_WPA               1
> #define IW_AUTH_WPA_VERSION_WPA2      2
> ---
> #define IW_AUTH_CIPHER_PAIRWISE       1
> #define IW_AUTH_CIPHER_GROUP  2
> ---
> #define IW_AUTH_CIPHER_NONE   0
> #define IW_AUTH_CIPHER_WEP40  1
> #define IW_AUTH_CIPHER_TKIP   2
> #define IW_AUTH_CIPHER_CCMP   4
> #define IW_AUTH_CIPHER_WEP104 5
>
> I wonder how this definition let you differentiate between the unicast
> cipher and the group cipher?

        Yes : PAIRWISE vs. GROUP.

> Moreover there is two information that are
> needed
>
> 1) the authentication model, which is PSK or .1x
> 2) The cipher to connect with?
>       Shall we set both Pair wise and Group or only Pairwise and
> connect with what ever group cipher in the RSN IE -- hint this will
> enable smooth connection to mixed mode networks?

        Those things are in Jouni's original proposal, and I don't
intend to drop them. I quoted only a small snipset, to clarify, please
refer to his e-mail to get the full picture.

> Please let me know what you think?
>
> Thanks
> Joe

        Regards,