Re: Fwd: in-driver QoS

To: netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Fwd: in-driver QoS
From: Vladimir Kondratiev <vkondra@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 7 Jun 2004 23:28:23 +0300
Cc: Jeff Garzik <jgarzik@xxxxxxxxx>, James Ketrenos <jketreno@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sender: netdev-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
Jeff,

Point is, wireless will support QoS on link level. Ethernet have no QoS on
link, thus one Tx queue was sufficient.

For those QoS discipline, parameters are chosen by access point. Network stack
don't know these parameters. BTW, how could driver tell to the stack what QoS
should be employed?

If stack do not provide exactly the same QoS as driver need, driver's one will
not work.

For generic 802.11 wireless stack, it should be framework for the driver to
use 4 Tx queues for diff serv (separate start/stop...), and also some hooks
for integrated service. Otherwise, like with current, simple 802.11 w/o TGe
and other extensions, each driver will need to reinvent the wheel.

I know very little about ATM, but it have QoS, both diff serv and int serv.
May be it is worth to borrow from it?

Vladimir.