Re: Prism54 WPA Support - wpa_supplicant - Linux general wpa support

To: Netdev <netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx>, hostap@xxxxxxxxx, prism54-devel@xxxxxxxxxxx, Jeff Garzik <jgarzik@xxxxxxxxx>, Jean Tourrilhes <jt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Linux Kernel <linux-kernel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Prism54 WPA Support - wpa_supplicant - Linux general wpa support
From: Jouni Malinen <jkmaline@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 2 Jun 2004 18:40:00 -0700
Sender: netdev-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Wed, Jun 02, 2004 at 11:55:42AM -0400, Luis R. Rodriguez wrote:

> If you find the patches that'd be great :). I'll see what I can do about
> fixing up extended MLME. I'll keep you posted.

I now know where the wpa_supplicant part is and once I find the matching
patch for Prism54 driver, I'll send them both to you.

> I have yet to review most of the wpa_supplicant code so I cannot say for
> sure yet what I think should go into the kernel. I e-mailed most lists
> mainly to get comments from others who have poked at wpa_supplicant
> and/or are looking into adding WPA client support into their drivers.
> I just wanted to make sure we were heading in the right direction since
> I only see 2 drivers that are currently using wpa_supplicant.

You may have seen only two drivers, but actually I'm already aware of at
least seven drivers that work with wpa_supplicant.. All of these are not
yet available publicly, though.

I believe that the current design for wpa_supplicant is quite alright
for most cases. I would like to give some more thought for the roaming
part (i.e., consider giving more control for the driver), but this
should be doable in a backward compatible way without breaking support
with existing code.