Re: FW: Submission for S2io 10GbE driver

To: Leonid Grossman <leonid.grossman@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: FW: Submission for S2io 10GbE driver
From: Anton Blanchard <anton@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2004 14:25:20 +1100
Cc: "'Andi Kleen'" <ak@xxxxxxx>, netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx, raghava.vatsavayi@xxxxxxxx, iod00d@xxxxxx
Sender: netdev-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx

> We are submitting for inclusion in 2.6 kernel but we'd like to have same
> code for
> 2.4 kernels as well, most our customers will stay with 2.4 for a
> while... If you add the bits to 2.6, we would still need a solution for
> 2.4 kernel.

OK, It should be easy to get the readq/writeq macros put into 2.4 as well.

> > Thats how all big endian platforms work. in* and out*, read*
> > and write* byteswap.
>
> So, we should make the code big endian specific rather than PPC64
> specific, right?

Well there are non byteswapping versions on some architectures
(__raw_read*/__raw_write*). However at least on ppc32 they dont contain
memory barriers so you could into trouble using them.

What does your code look like? You could key off __BIG_ENDIAN if you
really need to. Is it performance critical?

Anton