Re: Conntrack leak (2.6.2rc2)

To: Jozsef Kadlecsik <kadlec@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Conntrack leak (2.6.2rc2)
From: Harald Welte <laforge@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2004 10:22:50 +0100
Cc: Steve Hill <steve@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: netdev-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Mon, Feb 02, 2004 at 11:34:22AM +0100, Jozsef Kadlecsik wrote:
> On Mon, 2 Feb 2004, Steve Hill wrote:
>
> > > init_conntrack is called only when we have full, non-fragmented
> > > packets: ip_conntrack_in explicitly calls the proper function to gather
> > > the fragments before calling init_conntrack. There is no memory leak
> > > there.
> >
> > >From my observations, init_conntrack() is being called for each packet
> > (not fragment, packet), which seems right.
>
> No, that's not true (and would be bad). Please check the code.

To be more precise:

It is called for every NEW packet, after defragmentation happens (i.e.
if ip_conntrack_find_get() returns NULL, meaning there is no entry in
the hash table.).

--
- Harald Welte <laforge@xxxxxxxxxxxx>               http://www.gnumonks.org/
Programming is like sex: One mistake and you have to support it your lifetime