Re: Submission for S2io 10GbE driver

To: Leonid Grossman <leonid.grossman@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Submission for S2io 10GbE driver
From: Jeff Garzik <jgarzik@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2004 01:08:32 -0500
Cc: "'Stephen Hemminger'" <shemminger@xxxxxxxx>, "'Andi Kleen'" <ak@xxxxxxx>, netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx, raghavendra.koushik@xxxxxxxx
Sender: netdev-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
Leonid Grossman wrote:
The loopback test is there as a part of the ethtool's diagnostic option.

There are pros and cons of having the test in there I guess, anyone else has an opinion on this?

Do other net drivers normally support loopback and other diag tests as a
part of the ethtool support,
or they provide little/no support for the option and ship a standalone
diag program instead?

The ethtool diag stuff is more of a quick sanity test than anything exhaustive.

I definitely want to discourage tons of test code in drivers, as its code that users will almost-never run, it bloats the driver, and can be done with a special diag-only driver or diag program (or a combination of both).

A lot of the 10/100 drivers originated from Donald Becker, who typically creates a userland (i.e. separate) diag program for each driver he writes.

        Jeff