Re: [2.4/2.6 PATCHES] Change some ip_fragment checks to help IPVS

To: "David S. Miller" <davem@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [2.4/2.6 PATCHES] Change some ip_fragment checks to help IPVS
From: Julian Anastasov <ja@xxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2003 10:01:29 +0300 (EEST)
Cc: kuznet@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, <wensong@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, <netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sender: netdev-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
        Hello,

On Tue, 14 Oct 2003, David S. Miller wrote:

> >     One related question: is ip_fragment() backport from 2.6
> > to 2.4 planned?
>
> No, it only makes sense in the 2.6.x stack.
>
> 2.4.x and 2.6.x networking are wildly different beasts and
> you'll therefore need to make the IPVS implementation cope
> with that in each tree.

        ok. But my subject is wrong. In fact, it covers
the general case of forwarded packets after calling ip_defrag.
It means, for example, that if ip_conntrack is running in 2.4 then all
packets with total_length>mtu are refragmented or linearized. This
includes the case with 60k packets containing frags where each frag fits
in mtu. But I see, it is a dangerous place to change.

Regards

--
Julian Anastasov <ja@xxxxxx>