Re: [bonding] compatibilty issues

To: "Chad N. Tindel" <chad@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [bonding] compatibilty issues
From: Jeff Garzik <jgarzik@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2003 19:38:10 -0400
Cc: netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: netdev-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
Chad N. Tindel wrote:
Not correct. When I am testing patches people send to me, I am literally booting back and forth into 2.4 and 2.6 on an hour-by-hour basis. 2.4 ifenslave must continue to work under a 2.6 kernel.

This directly contradicts what I was told by David Miller when we first
integrated bonding into 2.4 back in the 2.4.9 timeframe. So, what I would
like from you then is a statement saying for how long this support must
continue. Does the 2.8 ifenslave have to work for 2.4? Or is it simply
an off by one problem? That is, 2.8 ifenslave will have to work for a 2.6 kernel as well, but no more?

Well, if that's David's sentiment, then I respectfully disagree with that.

You need to be conscious of what installations are out there. Most kernel maintainers, myself and David included, are currently maintaining both 2.4 and 2.6 support because that's what people are using. Eventually time will pass, and 2.4 will (essentially) go unmaintained, and the kernel maintainers will focus their attention on 2.6 stable series, and development for 2.7.

At the user end of things, people are for the most part running 2.4.x-based stuff, with perhaps some early adventures into 2.6. So you can see the _common_ case for the near future is supporting both 2.4 and 2.6 out of the box.

I'm realistic. I'm not advocating that you support 2.2 through 2.8 kernels in the same binary. What I'm talking about is common sense -- you see 2.4 and 2.6 mixing in the field. As I said, that's the common case for the near future.

The common case should be supported.   :)

        Jeff