Re: [ANNOUNCE] netplug, a daemon that handles network cables getting plu

To: Jeff Garzik <jgarzik@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [ANNOUNCE] netplug, a daemon that handles network cables getting plugged in and out
From: "J.A. Magallon" <jamagallon@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2003 00:45:53 +0200
Cc: "J.A. Magallon" <jamagallon@xxxxxxx>, "Bryan O'Sullivan" <bos@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, linux-kernel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: netdev-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
On 08.29, Jeff Garzik wrote:
> J.A. Magallon wrote:
> > On 08.28, Bryan O'Sullivan wrote:
> >
> >>Netplug is a daemon that responds to network cables being plugged in or
> >>out by bringing a network interface up or down.  This is extremely
> >>useful for DHCP-managed systems that move around a lot, such as laptops
> >>and systems in cluster environments.
> >>
> >>For more details and download instructions, see the netplug homepage:
> >>http://www.red-bean.com/~bos/
> >>

> > I feel sorry, but did you ever knew this existed ?
> >
> > http://www.stud.uni-hamburg.de/users/lennart/projects/ifplugd/
>

> ifplugd doesn't appear to use netlink.  Did I miss something?
>
> netlink is definitely the preferred way to get link notification.  Maybe
> the two authors can work together to merge the best parts of both...

That would be very nice, but there is still a problem.
Does netlink solve the fact that there are cards (at least in 2.4)
that do not support any detection method:

ne2k-pci
    SIOCETHTOOL failed (Operation not permitted)
    SIOCGMIIPHY failed (Operation not permitted)
    SIOCDEVPRIVATE failed (Operation not supported)

3c59x (3c980-TX)
    SIOCETHTOOL failed (Operation not permitted)
    SIOCGMIIPHY failed (Operation not permitted)
    SIOCDEVPRIVATE: unplugged

3c59x (3c905C-TX/TX-M)
    SIOCETHTOOL failed (Operation not supported)
    SIOCGMIIPHY: link beat detected
    SIOCDEVPRIVATE: link beat detected

e100
    SIOCETHTOOL: link beat detected
    SIOCGMIIPHY: link beat detected
    SIOCDEVPRIVATE failed (Operation not supported)

e1000

--
J.A. Magallon <jamagallon@xxxxxxx>      \                 Software is like sex:
werewolf.able.es                         \           It's better when it's free