Re: [2.4 PATCH] bugfix: ARP respond on all devices

To: "David S. Miller" <davem@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [2.4 PATCH] bugfix: ARP respond on all devices
From: "Bas Bloemsaat" <bloemsaa@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2003 22:07:27 +0200
Cc: <dang@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <alan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <richard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <skraw@xxxxxxxxxx>, <willy@xxxxxxxxx>, <carlosev@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, <lamont@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <marcelo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <linux-net@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <layes@xxxxxxxxx>, <torvalds@xxxxxxxx>, <linux-kernel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sender: netdev-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
> I don't think anyone is asking for a change in the default behaviour
> (although my point about breaking modules does apply), people would be
> satisfied, even ecstatic, if we had a simple way (flag) to set to make
> Linux work without setting /proc filters, using arpfilter, applying source
> routes (David's suggestion) and generally jumping through hoops.
Agree! Just a flag (ARP_ISOLATED, default to 0) in
/proc/sys/net/ipv4/conf/*? The default behaviour of the current (and future
kernels) stays as it is now, so it doesn't break for anyone, and a lot of
people (including me :) benefit from a much easier setup.

No need to implement a whole hidden scenario either.

Regards,
Bas