Re: [2.4 PATCH] bugfix: ARP respond on all devices

To: Richard Underwood <richard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [2.4 PATCH] bugfix: ARP respond on all devices
From: "David S. Miller" <davem@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2003 10:53:07 -0700
Cc: skraw@xxxxxxxxxx, willy@xxxxxxxxx, alan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, carlosev@xxxxxxxxxxxx, lamont@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, davidsen@xxxxxxx, bloemsaa@xxxxxxxxx, marcelo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx, linux-net@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, layes@xxxxxxxxx, torvalds@xxxxxxxx, linux-kernel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: netdev-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Tue, 19 Aug 2003 18:56:18 +0100
Richard Underwood <richard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>       Which nicely sums up the bug, really.

Ok, then how would you propose to be able to send
packets out an interface _before_ we have addresses
assigned to it?

Linux allows that, and in fact it's a useful feature.

Consider MSG_DONTROUTE as well.

BTW, this ARP source address algorithm we use comes from
ipv6, it would be instructive to go and see why they do
things the way they do.