Re: VLAN patch for 2.4.21

To: "Hen, Shmulik" <shmulik.hen@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: VLAN patch for 2.4.21
From: Ben Greear <greearb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 07 Aug 2003 00:28:12 -0700
Cc: netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: netdev-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
From: Ben Greear [mailto:greearb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Wednesday, August 06, 2003 3:27 AM
To: 'netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx'
Subject: VLAN patch for 2.4.21

Here is a patch that adds a few new IOCTL options (not new IOCTLs per se) for the 802.1Q VLANs.
One ioctl allows one to get the VID for a device by
the interface name. A second gets the name of the underlying device for the VLAN device. Tested on x86 and PPC.

Comments welcome!

Thanks,
Ben

Oh, this is great. You just saved me the work I was going to do
for fixing VLAN stuff over bonding :)
Any idea how to export those in a way that would enable bonding
and alike to include them without getting dependant on 8021q module
being loaded ? (I'm guessing inline function in a .h file, but any
other solution is welcome (coed sample ?).

You can just check the things in the net_device struct directly
I imagine.  The calls I added are mainly to provide the info to
user-space.

What information do you need, and where do you need it?

Also, no word yet from the guys who actually take patches, so dunno
if/when this will get into the tree.

Ben

--
Ben Greear <greearb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>