Re: e100 "Ferguson" release

To: Ben Greear <greearb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: e100 "Ferguson" release
From: "David S. Miller" <davem@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 3 Aug 2003 00:32:39 -0700
Cc: jgarzik@xxxxxxxxx, scott.feldman@xxxxxxxxx, netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: netdev-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
> Although I have not tried this latest patch, the existing e100 and e1000 in
> 2.4.21 seldom seem to return true to this method:  netif_queue_stopped(odev),
> even when the next hard_start_xmit() call fails.

Returning an error from hard_start_xmit() from normal ethernet
drivers is, frankly, a driver bug and should never happen.

I don't know if there is somehow something special about the
e100, but even if there is hard_start_xmit() failures can
be avoided by properly doing netif_queue_{stop,wakeup}() in
the right places.