Re: VLAN patch for 2.4.21

To: "Hen, Shmulik" <shmulik.hen@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: VLAN patch for 2.4.21
From: Ben Greear <greearb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 07 Aug 2003 00:28:12 -0700
Cc: netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: netdev-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
From: Ben Greear [mailto:greearb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Wednesday, August 06, 2003 3:27 AM
To: 'netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx'
Subject: VLAN patch for 2.4.21

Here is a patch that adds a few new IOCTL options (not new IOCTLs per se) for the 802.1Q VLANs.
One ioctl allows one to get the VID for a device by
the interface name. A second gets the name of the underlying device for the VLAN device. Tested on x86 and PPC.

Comments welcome!

Oh, this is great. You just saved me the work I was going to do
for fixing VLAN stuff over bonding :)
Any idea how to export those in a way that would enable bonding
and alike to include them without getting dependant on 8021q module
being loaded ? (I'm guessing inline function in a .h file, but any
other solution is welcome (coed sample ?).

You can just check the things in the net_device struct directly I imagine. The calls I added are mainly to provide the info to user-space.

What information do you need, and where do you need it?

Also, no word yet from the guys who actually take patches, so dunno
if/when this will get into the tree.

Ben Greear <greearb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Candela Technologies Inc