Re: e100 "Ferguson" release

To: "David S. Miller" <davem@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: e100 "Ferguson" release
From: David Brownell <david-b@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 04 Aug 2003 10:38:17 -0700
Cc: greearb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, jgarzik@xxxxxxxxx, scott.feldman@xxxxxxxxx, netdev@xxxxxxxxxxx
Sender: netdev-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxx
David S. Miller wrote:

For example, what do USB block device drivers do when -ENOMEM comes back? Do they just drop the request on the floor? No, rather they resubmit the request later without the scsi/block layer knowing anything about what happened, right?

I didn't notice any code to retry, but I did see some that morphed ENOMEM into a generic scsi "error". Scsi presumably does something more or less intelligent then.

The network layer on the other hand _does_ have hooks for retrying,
not that they're used much.

- Dave